Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Utah Vacation Part 1

So, after compiling both mine and John's pictures, I'm redo-ing our Utah Vacation blog post.  There was SOOO much I missed out on and it was all completely out of order.  So, without further adieu.....


For vacation this year we headed out to Utah.  Normally, one doesn't think of Utah as the ultimate vacation get-a-way but it fit perfectly for us this year.  Our close friend Jenny was getting married in Bountiful, John's brothers live in Utah, and it was the perfect low-key vacation to take two small kiddos on.  We had a blast and the majority of it was nice and relaxing....just what the doctor ordered.


We had a pretty tight window from my return from Girls Camp and our flight out to Utah.  I came home a day early just so we could get packed and ready for our drive to the KC airport the following day.  I was so glad when the trip was underway, it was all the logistics of a tight schedule that had me frazzled.  It went off without a hitch and we were excited to start our week 'o' fun with each other.  Pre-marriage days, John and I both lived in Utah but at different times and different areas.  It was fun getting to relive some old memories and also make some new ones.  The new ones with my little family were MUCH more fun to make than the old ones were. ;-)


Here we are enjoy some pizza the night before we push off for vacation.  I had just returned home exhausted from Girls Camp and wasn't about to go making anything for dinner.  Especially when I was preparing to pack all night long.  From the smiles and messes on their faces it looks like the pizza was a hit!

Who can resist pictures of cute little kids fascinated by the airplanes out the window?  Not I.  They should consider themselves lucky.  I don't think I had my first flight until I was in college.  My how times have changed.


Showing some sibling love.  Nope, this was not posed.  They love each other THAT much!
The cute little girly heading down the jetway.  So excited for the big airplane ride.

He's trying hard to contain his excitement.  Jonas' first airplane ride!

All situated and ready for take-off!
What isn't shown in pictures was the horrid flight we endured with these two cute little kiddos.  Jonas wasn't too bad.  He simply rolled with the bumps along the way.  However, we almost had to perform an exorcism on Addison when we finally made it to the rental car. We knew it was due to her lack of a good nap but knowing that still didn't give us the patience points we needed desperately to deal with it.  I guess it's proof that she isn't quite ready to give up nap time anytime soon.  Of course it didn't help that we spent about an hour sitting on the tarmac on our Denver layover.  Once we finally arrived to Utah and got the kids down for bed, John and I decided to join them.  We figured we needed to adjust to the new time zone and we all hit the pillows at about 7:00 pm.  It was glorious.  We enjoyed MUCH sleep on this vacation and were very lucky to have a VERY comfortable bed.  


The next morning we were up and scrambling trying to get ready for our friend's wedding at the Bountiful Utah temple.  Everything was still in suitcases and we were digging around and dressing like crazy people.  We finally made it out, on the road, and arrived at the temple.....ALL before the actual Bride & Groom did.  Hmmm....guess we didn't need to go crazy after all.  It was a great ceremony and we were grateful to send the kids off with a babysitter and enjoy a MUCH needed 45 minute break while we basked in the peace of the temple.  Afterward, John got to enjoy the wedding luncheon and I got to enjoy a nice LONG nap with the kiddos at the hotel.  Not sure who got the better end of that deal.


The happily married couple.
We spent Sunday, lounging around and finally getting to relax on vacation.  Later that afternoon we walked from our hotel to the Discovery Gateway play center.  We were lucky enough to have it mostly to ourselves and were lucky enough to have a hotel that was located near so many things.


Happy boy enjoying the Discovery Gateway play zone.  He was such an easy going guy this vacation.  We were very grateful.



Addison dressing up as a cow at the Discovery Gateway.  She's in mid-"Moo".

Jonas driving the fire truck.  What a cute fireman!
Farmer Jonas playing in the country corner.  He's getting soooo big!

Addison & Jonas mounting the pretend horse at the Discovery Center.  I'm guessing Jonas didn't much enjoy his placement on that saddle or on the saddle horn.
Later that same evening, we headed on down to Herriman, UT to visit with John's brother Mat and his family.  They were so nice to feed us a delicious barbecue and it was great to catch up with each other. I was amazed at how social Addison was with her cousin Madison that evening.  It was great that they were able to play together and enjoy each other.  This was the first time Addison was able to meet her cousins and aunt and uncle....along w/Jonas.  


Sweet Madison was so good playing with Addison.   Addison loved her and followed her everywhere.
The next day, John was lucky enough to go flying with his brother who has had his pilot's license for about a year now.  He came back talking about how awesome it was.  Guess who is itching to get their pilot's license now?  And surprisingly, I'm not discouraging it.  I went flying with Mat the following morning and it was indeed an amazing experience.  Thanks Mat for sharing your plane and your talent with us!  And thanks for humoring John and taking him up twice!  I'm guessing Mat didn't need much convincing to do it though.

Mat doing the plane inspection before take-off.  So kind of him to share his toy with us.
I'm sure I'm getting the order of events all mixed up, but oh well.  At some point on our vacation we enjoyed jumping the SLC Trax train and riding it up to Temple Square.  Addison and Jonas were thrilled to ride the train.  

Heading out to Temple Square by way of the SLC Trax.  They were so excited to ride the train that we decided to hop on the one that was going the longest route to our actual stop.  Okay, maybe that part wasn't on purpose but it was still fun.

Jonas checking out the train.  Again, we had the whole section to ourselves. :D
Addison enjoying her own seat on the train.

Getting to see the Christus statue in the Visitor's Center.  Addison loved running up and down the spiral ramp.  So much so that she biffed it on the way down.  As in full body slam to the ground.  I was able to stifle my laughter long enough to make sure she wasn't injured.
  
Showing Addison the pretty castle aka the Salt Lake Temple.  It was fun to do all these things with her and talk about them as we walked around.  There wasn't much else to do with a 3 year old and a 9 month old around Temple Square so we headed downtown to enjoy some delicious pizza for lunch.  Uncle Mat came by and picked up Daddy for a game of golf.  I headed off with the kiddos to tour my old stomping grounds while they napped in the car.  

My first apartments when I moved to Utah for college.  So fun to reminisce back to those days and my old roommates, Michelle, Marianne, and Corene.  

My second apartment after my old roommates moved back home to Missouri.  I moved into these apartments all by my lonesome and it was such a hard and trying time for me.  I grew a lot and have a lot of memories....good and bad....of those days.  So glad I experienced it and that they are now in my past. 
I was also able to drive past my old work (Walmart) and my old alma mater, UVSC now known as Utah Valley University.   Poor Addison woke up from her nap when my memory lane was just wrapping up and she kept asking to "see da place where you went to school mommy!"  Whoopsie...I guess I should have woken her up for that part.  I didn't realize just how excited she was to see it.  :(


Stay tuned for Utah Vacation Part 2! 

2 comments:

Meg + Taylor said...

That picture of Addison hugging Jonas at the airport is the cutest :) I hope my kids like each other! Too cute.

Hoffman Family said...

So much fun to go back and visit family.