Saturday, July 21, 2012

Willard 4th

The kids and I took an impromptu trip down to my old stomping grounds so we could ring in the 4th of July with the town of Willard.  They were celebrating the weekend prior to the actual holiday so we didn't have any plans.  However, with as much traveling as we had done lately, I was looking forward to just staying home.  However, with two sisters and a niece trying to convince me to come over multiple days prior, I finally caved and was so glad I did.  If anything, for the pure joy I saw on Addison's face as she played with her cousins all weekend long.  


We spent that Friday bustle-ing around Springfield with my sister and her two kiddos and my Mom.  It was fun to run errands and shop bargains...especially when Grandma offered to hang out in the car with the sleeping kiddos.  Sign me up!
This is what we came back to after shopping at Target.  Grandma had to get creative with juggling kids so she could help my child squat and pee in the bushes.  Apparently my idea of "hurry" was not fast enough.  Poor Grandma......and poor Addison.
Later that night, my other sister and her family came in and we all crashed for the night and woke up early to party the next day.  We girls managed to leave all the kiddos with the husbands and head to the "Junk Store" and scope out the bargains.  Apparently it's a weekly ritual that my Mother does and she has managed to get all of us excited about it too.  After shopping we headed to breakfast and then on to visit my old roommate and tour her latest house purchase/remodeling efforts.  It was such a nice morning to just hang out together while the guys entertained the little ones.


Jonas hanging out with Grandma outside while Mommy got to sleep in.  One of the many reasons I love visiting my mother.
Almost all of the visiting cousins playing with their bouncing balloons from Aunt Michelle.
Addison bonding with the newest cousin, Makinley.
Next was the momentous "decorating of the bikes" for the parade celebration.  We were determined to relive all of our childhood memories whether our children enjoyed them or not.  Luckily, they thought it was the most exciting thing ever.  They decorated the bikes and wagons and were even lucky enough to have Aunt Michelle paint flags on their faces.  
Addison modeling the latest decorations as they headed to the parade line-up.  She was so excited to actually be in a parade.
We headed out at the last minute to line up for the parade.  This was intentional as we really didn't think the kiddos would enjoy waiting in 100 degree weather at the back of the parade while all the other floats lined up.  So, with Aunt Michelle and Uncle Kyle acting as the parade adult/chaperones, the rest of us went to get a spot on the grass.  Usually there are TONS of bikers all wrecking into each other (due to lack of space) and loving every minute of it, this year there were ZERO bikers.  As in, our group were the ONLY bikers period.  They were adorable and luckily bringing up the rear of the parade because they took pity on them.  However, the kids didn't seem to mind, they were loving every minute of it.  Waving, throwing out candy, enjoying all the people watching them, etc.  One of the things I enjoy most about being a Mom is watching the joy on Addison's face.....Jonas' too but he wasn't in the parade.  He hung out by me and watched it all from the comfort of his chair.  


It takes a real man to sit in a nice pink chair.  He was such a chill little dude the whole weekend.
After the festivities, we loaded up and dined on Taco Bell and enjoyed the air conditioner.  Remember it was at least 100 degrees outside.  Then we all went over to the park pavilion and joined the crowds.  There were rides, picnics, funnel cakes, music, and vendors.  We took the kids over to the park for a bit and then sat and waited to watch the fireworks.  I was convinced either Addison or Jonas (or both) were going to flip out once the fireworks went off but I was amazed to see that both of them enjoyed it. A few times in the beginning Jonas jumped but after I went over the top exclaiming and getting excited about each one, they were both loving it.  They did so good with the heat and the late night and all the fun and sugar and excitement.  It was definitely worth the short drive and impromptu trip down.


My little firecracker post parade.  She was all sweaty but was dying to take Ashlyn's bike on a little test drive.
Showing off her Dora popsicle at the festivities.
Addison and Jonas hanging out with Grandma Bell.  They adore her.  As do I, especially when she's so helpful with the kiddos and their Mommy. :D

0 comments: