Monday, May 13, 2013

I Grow Big Babies

It may come as a shocker to my readers, but I birth big babies.  Addison was the lightweight and she came in at 8 lbs 8 oz.  I remember thinking wow she's "average sized" but then realized that "average" could really only fit within MY family history.  To most of the world....she was still a big baby.  However, Jonas trumped her when he came in at a bouncing 9 lbs 6.5 oz.  Two words...OUCH and EPIDURAL.  I birthed a toddler folks.  

Soooo I wasn't too alarmed when my frequent doctor visits with this pregnancy had them telling me that my belly was measuring about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ahead of schedule.  Part of me got excited thinking that meant I would be delivering sooner than I thought.  My doctor quickly nixed that thought and said "Um, nope....that just means you have big babies."  Ha.....surprise surprise.  Either that or a lot of amniotic fluid.  I'm blessed with both...lucky me eh?  Which always makes my third trimesters borderline unbearable.  I'm huge and uncomfortable and can no longer function like a normal human being.  

Well since I was still measuring big on my following appointment, my doctor suggested I go in for another ultrasound.  He wasn't alarmed but just said it was standard procedure when I'm consecutively measuring big.  And of course their "paper measuring tape" method they use to measure is a bit archaic.  I wasn't complaining since I'm always excited for another chance to peek in on the little nugget before she's born.  

We were lucky enough to leave the kids with a sitter so John and I actually got to enjoy and pay attention in the ultra sound appointment.  This little girl is quite the mover and wasn't fond of having her picture taken.  Her feet were crossed of course.  I'm guessing it's normal but it's something ALL of our kids have done inside the womb and outside of it.  Jonas is still crossing his feet at the ankles when he gets cuddles.  Her cheeks were hugely squishy.  It's so hard to see that squishiness and not be able to take part in it for the time being.  She was a chunky monkey but of course wasn't that much bigger than normal for this part of the pregnancy.  The tech said she was measuring maybe 4 days ahead of where she should be....which is not abnormal.  She was healthy and happy and is indeed a girl.  And I was able to scan her little face and body for anything that seemed normal/abnormal physically wise.  I'm not sure if I'm the only paranoid Mommy but I ALWAYS seem to worry and dwell on if my babies are going to be born with a handicap and what kind etc etc.  I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact I'm older but part also has to do with typical Mommy worries.  Either way it was a nice relief to see she looked normal and healthy and happy.  And surprisingly she has ample room in there to keep growing for the next month plus.  

It was such a fun time to check in on the little nugget and enjoy some peace and tranquility of a waiting room and have the kids at their cousin's house AND even enjoy a quiet dinner with John before going home to pick up this little girly's siblings.  Can't wait to meet you cute little squishy and chubby unnamed baby girl!



2 comments:

Jean Fields said...

Oh how beautiful she is!!! Can't wait! Love her already!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Hang in there! You can do it! I can't wait to see pictures of her.