Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tornado Alley

I've grown up ALL my life in tornado alley.  I'm sure some people out there think it's weird that we still live in this area since we get pounded by tornadoes so much.  Luckily, I have yet to be in one although I do remember seeing one in person when I was a little girl....not far from the interstate where we had to pull over and take cover.  I spent most of my life only taking the warnings half-heartedly and thinking I was invincible.  That was until Joplin, MO (1 hour north of us) was hit with a devastating tornado.  I no longer think I'm invincible.  It's sad to see the damage and destruction Mother Nature can leave behind. And it gets even scarier when I'm a Mom and have to protect my children.  I can't imagine anything EVER happening to them.  So it's time for me to heed the warnings and take cover when they do come around.  

This part of the year is the worst part  April/May/June.  We've been under a LOT of warnings, watches, etc.  Areas nearby have been hit pretty bad but luckily we have had the same tornadoes pass over our little town.  Needless to say, we've spent some quality family time in the bathroom and the laundry room listening to our weather radio and the news.  The kiddos are convinced we are just having a little party and I'm fine with them thinking that when such scary situations are going on.  Hopefully one day we'll have a tried and true tornado shelter to hide away in but until then we make do with our tiny rooms and hope it's never anything too strong that will flatten it all out anyway.  


Holed up in the bathroom having a coloring party.  It wasn't the most luxurious cover we've taken but it works.

Yet another tornado watch.  Spending time in the laundry room.  Luckily the kids never woke up when they were relocated about three times that night and finally put on a mattress in the laundry room.  


2 comments:

Jean Fields said...

After having gone through the tornado of 1999 in Cincinnati Ohio, I too don't like the storms. I'm glad you listen to the warnings and take cover. It happens so quickly that it's best not to ponder too long. You're such a good little mommy, Shannon. Thanks for being who you are and taking such good care of Addi & Jonas and then making it a fun experience on top of it!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Oh man, it's probably a good thing we moved because I never took any of those warnings seriously. I pray for you guys when I read all the facebook statuses about the weather out there! Look at you, pregnant and sitting in a small bathroom. You should be rewarded mother of the year! :)