Thursday, May 23, 2013

Preschool Party Picnic

Addison survived her first year of pre-school!  Actually, she not only survived it....she thoroughly enjoyed it (as did I)!  It was such a good experience for her and totally helped her to come out of her shell more.  

At the beginning of the year the teachers had asked me if she talked.  Um, yes?  They apparently thought she was selectively mute.  I assured them that she talked a LOT and would soon warm up to them and preschool.  Sure enough, she proved me right.  She loved school and remembered everything she learned from music to dances to letters to you name it.  She is SUCH an attentive little girl, not only in school but in church as well and even at home.  She may not seem like she's retaining it but she absorbs it all and recites it back to me for months on end.  I'm always amazed at the detail she can provide when it has been months since she learned it.  She still knows the specifics of what to do when your house is on fire.  Such an important lesson to retain at that!  I'm so proud of her.

Originally, I hesitated about enrolling her at such a young age and instead just keeping her home with me for another year.  However, after we finished up this year it just proved to me we did the right thing.  She has always been a smart cookie....just a shy one.  Fast forward to the last day of school and she has made TONS of friends and talks to most anyone.  Even when playing at the park she won't hesitate to walk up to other kids and introduce herself and begin playing with them.  She's grown soooo much this year.

For the end of the school year, Jonas and I (and the rest of the parents) were able to join her class on a walk to the park and we even got to eat popsicles.  The kids were in heaven.  It was a nice little walk and I was even shocked that Addison preferred to hold Miss Tara's hand on the way there and Miss Leslie's on the way back - instead of mine!  My feelings weren't hurt though, it just gave me all the more hands to hold onto Jonas instead.  

The kids quickly got all sticky and sweaty after enjoying some good park playing.  I was able to chat with a few of the parents we've come to know throughout the year too.  I'm also glad to hear that most of the students are returning for next year's class (4-5 year olds) with Miss Leslie.  We are already looking forward to it and can't wait until summer is over....to a certain degree of course.

Addison & Jonas enjoying a good popsicle.

She had a blast at her party as you can tell.  She's very much a poser lately so this one was thought up all on her own.  Such a cute little girly!
After our walk to the park, we were lucky enough to tag along on an exclusive lunch with the preschool teachers at the famous Paulette's Crepes food truck on the square.  We had never been before (as had the teachers) and they were heavenly.  Even if I had two kids pouncing on me from different directions as we all three devoured them.  It was great to have the teachers in tow to not only catch up with them on a personal level but also to have their help corralling kiddos while we enjoyed our lunch.  An extra set of eyes for some rambunctious kiddos is ALWAYS a good thing to have.  

After lunch, I decided to throw in one more little party and we headed over to the splash park for some more fun.  We improvised since we didn't have our swimming suits but the kids didn't seem to mind.  Splashing water is fun to run through no matter what you are wearing.  Amazingly, Addison had less fear than Jonas did at all the dancing fountains.  

So, thank you to some WONDERFUL teachers, MIss Tara & Miss Leslie!  We will miss you over the summer but can't wait to see you again this Fall.  You've done such a good job with helping Addison throughout this past year and she adores you both and preschool.  I'm sure she will enjoy her preschool time this next year since it'll give her something to do that's "her own" while Mommy wrestles two little ones at home by then.

Kiddos getting wet at the splash park.  Addison was a bit confused why she couldn't take her shirt off like Jonas.  She wasn't fond of being fully clothed but eventually just went with it.

Funny story: Watching Jonas from a distance, I saw him peeking at one of the dormant fountains.  After a few seconds, it shot full blast right into his face.  It was hilarious and a few random strangers even joined in on my laughing as well. He never cried or ran to me, just looked up really confused and shocked and then decided to go run and play again.  Such a big boy and I love it!

0 comments: