Friday, September 23, 2011

Creepy Crawlies


For all you concerned readers of my blog....we are still alive. And things are finally starting to look up. We've had a few minor hiccups along the way since the last post I made but for the most part are starting to get into a swing. "Starting" being the key word.

Anyway, one of those routines is taking the two kiddos on walks around the neighborhood. The weather is beautiful lately and it always does us good to get out and enjoy the fresh air. Surprisingly we've been on a walk each day for the past three days. Granted it takes us longer to get ready for the walk than to actually go on it but I think that is the way life goes with two kids.

Anyway, Addison LOVES our walks. She gets sooo excited when I announce our departure. She knows her route, loves to listen to the doggies, and just beams while we stroll. The other day we happened upon a couple of caterpillars. For all those who know me, I refuse to touch any type of insect or creature that resembles a worm, a snake, a frog,....and a caterpillar. But I also refuse to pass my phobias on to my children. So, of course once I found the caterpillar I made a big to-do about it and asked Addison if she wanted to touch it. Surprisingly she said yes and crouched down but she was hesitant. She just kept tapping the concrete next to it while it inched along. (Still better than I would have done that's for sure).

So a few feet further we happen across another caterpillar. Again, I ask her if she wants to touch it and she says "Yes!" so she crouches down and slowly gets closer and closer and....touches it! Just barely, but I was proud of her. And also very grateful she didn't ask me to help her so I didn't have to disclose my phobia and start running in the opposite direction (yes, my mean cousins chased me all the time with worms which did NOT help my fears).

Anyway, I was so proud of her for pushing through her timidness and touching creatures she hasn't encountered before. Even at the end of our walk I pointed out a bug to her and thought surely she won't touch it. So I asked her and she did! Just barely but to me "barely" is a HUGE accomplishment! This Momma can't even do "barely!" Yay Addison for pushing through your fears!

And another accomplishment she made... Our afore mentioned walk took us to the neighborhood playground. Addison LOVES slides and points this one out everytime we drive by it. So needless to say she was excited. However, just as we walked up three older kids also started playing on the equipment. Remember Addison is fairly timid, especially initially, until she warms up to the situation. So, needless to say she did not want to play on the slide anymore. She kept telling me "Mommy, it's scawey (scary)" (she says this when she starts to get shy.) So, I assure her it's not, that the kids are nice, and even try to help her up the steps. But she is too timid and just stands and watches on the side. Secretly I feel so bad for her because I know how much she loves these slides. In any other situation I would have spent time helping her warm up to the situation and overcome her shy-ness. However, baby brother was getting hungry so we had to bail. And she cried almost all the way home because she didn't get to play on the slide. My heart broke for her but I promised her we'd come back the next day and sure enough we did - Today! This time Daddy came with us. Yet again, when we got there a few boys were already playing. And I don't think she's quite use to boys being more rambunctious so she stood there for a bit. However, Daddy did great with her and helped her overcome her fears and stood close by and encouraged her to go up the steps and down the slide. Sure enough she did multiple times...and eventually she did it many many more times by herself once Daddy sat next to Mommy on the bench. Yay Addison!

I realize this is may be a boring post but I just wanted to document for journaling purposes how proud I am of Addison. I think she gets her timidness from me but I love seeing her push through it eventually and join the crowd. She definitely prefers smaller groups than larger groups. And I'm learning that we need to attend more play dates and even enroll her in pre-school down the road so she can have more practice interacting with other kids. However, she is such a good girl and already seems to overcome more than this Mommy probably did at her age. We are so very proud of her!

1 comments:

Melinda said...

My Raina is very much an introvert. She gets scared of other kids and doesn't know how to handle them. We totally understand. Having little brother will help Addison.

Glad things are going well.