Thursday, September 29, 2011

Regressing

Addison has regressed a bit with baby brother's arrival. She has now learned that in order to get LOTS of attention in this house, you have to have a binky in your mouth....right Jonas? ;-)

Luckily it's not a real binky. She stole it from her dolly and thinks she's hilarious when she puts it in her mouth...and frankly she is. And I promise she IS wearing underwear in this picture folks.


And of course, we've also taken a few steps back on the potty training abilities. Nothing huge by any means so I'll gladly deal with the little bumps along the way. Those "bumps" being every once in awhile she has a little pee pee accident here and there. It's not that bad and she still makes it to the potty more than not. However, she is back to hanging out in pull-ups just until everything is back on track. The last thing I need is to scrub urine out of carpets while holding a newborn.

And lately she has also grown fearful of going potty by herself. Which is a problem because she has to go a LOT and it always seems to be while I'm nursing Jonas or giving him a bath. Insert meltdown here....from both of us. I start strong with my cheer-leading and tell her how big she is and she can do this! She responds with some tears and acts like she has never done this before in her life...when she has. I coach her on how to take off her pants and pull-ups and she freezes up and cries even more. At this point I lose patience with her because she has mastered this before - she's totally capable. And yes, I'm fully aware my lack of patience leads her to more tears and so the cycle continues. The whole process works itself into quite an ordeal but 95% of the time she pulls through and does it all on her own. The other few times I have to stop everything and help her. And lets not even begin to cover the topic of toilet paper usage. She's either unraveling it all while she sits on the potty bored, or she's not using it at all, or she's doing the following with it:

New discovery - unraveling a whole roll of toilet paper into the toilet is a BLAST! For Addison at least. She didn't have to clean it out of the nasty toilet water.

We've now started the tutorial on just how much toilet paper her tiny little bum needs. Hopefully taking these pictures doesn't encourage more of this behavior....but I'm the Mom....I must document these moments. It's the only way I can stay sane! :D

Honestly, Addison hasn't regressed that much. Especially considering how much she's really stepped into her big sister role with Jonas' arrival. I've watched her giving brother a binky when he's crying. I've heard her whisper "Shhhhhh....shhhh" to him when he's upset. And she loves to lean over him and say "Awe...Mama....he's so seet (sweet)". Just the other day when we were in the middle of a doctor's appointment and he was wailing, Addison was mimicking me as I was trying to calm him down and I could hear her say "Shh...it's okay buddy....it's okay buddy". She is SUCH a good big sister and I can already see their adoration towards each other. I can't wait until Jonas is big enough to play with her and follow her around everywhere. They are the best of buds.

0 comments: