Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Birthday Boy x 3

This past week we were able to celebrate Daddy's birthday.  I'm learning it's a very busy time of year and will likely be for the rest of our lives.  First Daddy was born, then Jonas has a birthday a little over a week later, and it's also the same time that school (aka preschool) begins for the little girly. So, needless to say, it took us three attempts to give Daddy an official birthday celebration.

Attempt #1:  I decided to have his birthday dinner and cake the night before his big day since I knew he'd be busy with scouts on his birthday night.  His request:  Roast, mashed potatoes, corn, and rolls.  I was thrilled since it's a fairly easy meal to make.  I even decided to go above and beyond and invite our friends the McKassons over to celebrate since Brad and John are good friends and we had a TON of food.  Unfortunately, Brad was traveling for work but we invited his family over anyway.  Then I had the novel idea to invite our friends, the Lowden's over to celebrate too since Tommy & John are good friends and he'd have a "man friend" amongst all the women and children.  Guess what?  Yup, Tommy was also traveling for work (all our husbands work at the same place) so we invited his wife and children over instead.  Yay John!  Who doesn't want to spend their birthday dinner and cake celebration with 3 women and 8 crazy kids?  He was pretty easygoing with it but especially more so when I told him we'd have another "official" birthday dinner the following Sunday to make up for the chaos and fun of that night.  

Attempt #2:  The day of his actual birthday.  I was going to send him off to work with a big breakfast but then realized that those actually make him late and hurried and rushed for work so I stayed in bed and sang him the Birthday song instead.  Then the kids and I met up with him for lunch and even let him pick.  Olive Garden!  Yay Me!  It's actually one of my favorites but he swore to me up and down that he really did want to go there. No complaints here!  Then we took him back to work and headed home to finish the last of the preparations while the kids took their naps.  But, the kids decided to rebel against their naps and I was a frantic mess trying to find the time to get stuff done.  Then Daddy came home after work to chaos.  He was trying to hurry and change and prep for his scout activity which he (and we) had to go early for and help with.  Amidst all the chaos we were able to give him his bacon roses and head out the door.  None of us got dinner that night.  We had a fun time helping with the scout activity so it was worth it.  It also meant we got home late with hungry and cranky kids.  I knew full well that neither of them had the energy or patience to watch Daddy open his presents.  We were all exhausted and went to bed early instead.

Attempt #3:  The day after his big day.  We finally had some free time to clear our heads and get some stuff done and hold still for once.  Addison and Jonas and I went out for one more special present and came home and prepped a quick/easy meal of BLTs and wrapped his presents.  Daddy gave us a twist this year and actually didn't request much in the way of gifts.  He actually specifically requested NOT to spend a lot of money and that he didn't need anything.  Which meant it was time to search Pinterest (my latest addiction) and start crafting some inexpensive gifts.  It took a bit more work but he was definitely worth every second and then some.

So, third time's a charm right?  I actually had a breakdown on his birthday evening since we were all so crazy and chaotic.  I was trying so hard to make sure he wasn't overlooked on his big day and that he didn't feel like he was just an after thought in our lives.  He assured me he didn't feel that way and that he had a great day even with all the chaos.  

He's a good man...comforting ME and MY meltdown on HIS birthday.  Who does that?  We are soooo beyond grateful for John and all the sacrifices he makes for our family.  Not only does he do them but he does it with a smile on his face and a happy attitude.  I honestly don't think I'd be so chipper about waking up early everyday and going off to the office to work....again!  Which also reminds me of how grateful I am that he does that (even on the not fun days) just so I can stay at home with our kids.  He's allowing me to work my dream job...even though some of my days don't really feel like a "dream" per se.  I wouldn't change my job for the world.  I'm always grateful for his sacrifice.  And he never gets jealous when he calls to check in and we are swimming at the pool or shopping or playing with friends while he is at boring old work.  

We are all very appreciative of Daddy and hope he never feels like he's lost in the shuffle.  So glad we got to celebrate him and his day of birth.  Now we are off to do a preview shopping of Cabela's tonight and find his main birthday present.....a gun scope!  Whatever trips his trigger!  (hehehehe.)


Happy Birthday Old Man!!


Blowing out the candles on his homemade Whopper Ice Cream Cake.  Yum!  Addison blew the candles out before he could so he is relighting them.  And then she blew them out again for him.  Such a good helper!

What do you get the man who has everything?  Bacon Roses!  Because no one can EVER have enough bacon.  Thank you Pinterest!

2 comments:

Jean Fields said...

H I L L A R I O U S !!!!!!! I am still laughing. Those three attempts to celebrate equal a birthday you will never forget. You deserve an A+ for trying though!

Hoffman Family said...

That is an awesome gift! Love it!