Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bribery

I'm not above it.


We've been enjoying the potty training life w/Addison for a little over a year now.  She's done amazingly well with it and we have been grateful.  However, we haven't managed to get rid of the pull-ups at nap time and bedtime.  Mostly, because Mommy was growing tired of washing sheets daily when we attempted it a year ago.  Now, I'm finding that I'd rather wash sheets than keep buying pull-ups.  Plus, she's older and more aware of the process.  And it works to our advantage that she has now entered the land of princesses full force.

So, insert bribery tool #1:
Thanks to a Wal-mart clearance rack, we've ventured into the pull-up free phase.  Addison now sports her own princess panties and LOVES wearing them.  So much so that she is beyond thrilled and grateful when Mommy does laundry and washes them for her.  She's always finding a reason to change them five times a day so she can wear them all.  Decisions....decisions.  And we all know, princesses don't like to be peed on.

Bribery tool #2:

The beloved and rare princess fruit snack.  Soooo much tastier than the boring Wal-mart brand that we are used to.  Now, she gets a special fruit snack when she has dry panties after nap time.  So far we have succeeded!  

And bribery tool #3:

The desirable princess minature doll.....as in the whole collection of them.  We have five nights to get this figured out before we start retracting them and starting over.  Wish us luck!  Any morning she wakes up with dry panties she gets to pick a doll.  So worth the cost of the dolls to save the cost of pull-ups months and months down the road.  And our first attempt was a success so far!  We'll keep you posted with the rest of the week!

In the meantime, I'll share a bit of a secret with you.  I was a bed wetter for quite awhile when I was little.  And never really had a great experience during the process of not becoming one.  Thus, I'm more sensitive to when "accidents" happen with her.  I've convinced her that Mommy won't get mad if they do happen but that fun surprises await you when they don't!   So far I think it's working.  She and I are both really excited about the results....for different reasons of course!  Time to be a big girl princess now!

6 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Great idea! You are so creative!

Jean Fields said...

Addison must feel like she is in Heaven. What a fun, positive approach!

Melinda said...

Hey Shannon, just an FYI if things end up not working out. I was better at 3 than I was at 4 and I ended up on medicine to help my bladder. I had no control over things at night until I was older. So, here is hoping things go well and Addison gets to enjoy all her princesses, but if not, know that there are reasons beyond control sometimes.

Dana said...

So happy for you! And glad you have phases I think that is a wonderful idea. I hope she gets all the dolls and never looks back.

Hoffman Family said...

I still remember the toy I got after I completed my potty training. It is silly but I cant wait for arianna to be excited about princess undies.

Meg + Taylor said...

I love it! I love when you said, "Princesses don't like to be peed on." Funny. And true. What a fun mommy you are :)