Thursday, August 2, 2012

Contributions

For those who aren't aware, we try hard to discipline/raise our children with the Love & Logic approach.  We aren't perfect at it by any means but we really like the ideas and suggestions so we keep trying and learning.  


Anyway, a year or so ago, John and I were lucky enough to attend a local 'Love & Logic' seminar provided by the Bentonville School District.  I was thrilled since these usually are pretty pricey...and this one was free!  It was very helpful and surprisingly pretty entertaining.  I avidly took notes and can still faintly recollect what was said.  One thing we both liked were the suggestion of calling chores "Contributions" since technically that's what they are.  Not a job that you get paid for, or something that you do on the days you choose to, it's the jobs we all do to help each other and our family out.  It's us contributing to our family and our home.  So, needless to say, I was a bit excited when Addison was old enough to start "contributing".  


She's always been a good helper but never technically had a "chore" to do.  Mostly, just a put this away, pick that up, hand that to Mommy, yadda yadda yadda.  Now, she's a big girl with a "contribution" of her very own.


Ta-da!!!


She's an official "Table-Setter"!!!  
And needless to say, I'm LOVING it!  As is she.  I want to take advantage of that age where it's fun to help and such an exciting thing to do.  Now, it's her official contribution to our family....setting the table for dinner every evening.  And she does soooo well with it.  Mommy hands her all the materials and she goes and puts them where they belong.  She's so proud of herself and it makes me realize just how much she likes contributing to our family.  Probably as much as Mommy likes it as well!  You'd think it was a minor thing to do but it is SO helpful to me when I'm already running around the kitchen trying to finish dinner.  So, thank you Addison for being a big girl and contributing to our family!  I'm thinking we need to have a TON more kids so I can get more help and contributions!!

2 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Yes, I vote for a TON more kids (for you...not for me...rough day haha)
I'm going to start calling them contributions now!

Jean Fields said...

Funny you should blog about Addison's contributions today. At lunch time at Chickfilet, in the play room, I was amazed at Addison contributing to all the little girls in that room. It was amazing that every little girl knew Addison's name but didn't seem to know anyone else's name. I overheard one girl who was a tad older than Addison. She told her mother, "That is Addison and she is a really nice girl!" Addison is not only a contributor but a natural leader as well!