Friday, May 9, 2008

Blogging Bursts

So I've realized in blogging that I'm a person that likes to blog in bursts. This could be due to any of the following:

  1. I spend most of my time reading about everyone else and their blogs so by the time it comes to write about our exciting life, I'm too exhausted.
  2. My creative juices flow only once every three days and thus I post like crazy when that happens to make up for my laziness on the other days.
  3. I feel overwhelmed by the pressure to be funny and/or exciting and thus talk myself out of my posts. Where exactly does this pressure come from? I have no idea but it's out there believe you me!
  4. Or, simply put, our life is only exciting in actual bursts of time. Days can go by with nothing blog-worthy happening and then all the sudden two days equal 5 good posts!

At any rate, I love observing the blogging world while simultaneously living in it so hopefully you will learn to enjoy my 3 post days and will forgive me during the dry spells.

So tomorrow is our neighborhood garage sale!! Haha....yes a rather random change up in the post I realize. But I am rather excited about it. I don't necessarily "need" anything but the thrill of getting out and looking at other people's junk is extremely exciting. I don't like to lose sleep over much but garage sales are definitely worthy of lost sleep. Last week we enjoyed garage sale-ing in my sister Michelle's neighborhood (which is much nicer than my own). I don't think John actually knew what he was in for when he volunteered to tag along with the gaggle of women.....and Nick. John is convinced that people who garage sale tend to buy things/junk they don't actually need but convince themselves they need when they see it dirt cheap. While I do agree with him for the most part, I don't classify myself as that type of person. I've become rather "snooty" in what I purchase and usually come away empty handed - but it doesn't change the fact that when I find that one great deal I relish in the victory for days on end. John actually changed his view on garage sales this past weekend in Kansas City when he happened upon a 1985 Chicago Bears mug (the year they won the superbowl I'm told) for only $1.00!! He was thrilled with his find and told me afterwards that he would have gladly paid $10.00 for it. He beams every time he holds the mug and I've promised him I'll make him a nice cool beverage for him to enjoy....after we scrub the nasty germs off of it which could take days.

My side of the family shops at garage sales by proxy. It's funny actually. We've learned it through the years of us not being able to all be with each other in person at every sale we happen across. We always take cellphones on our hunt and call each other with potential finds that we are aware he/she might need or be looking for. Usually we have a mental list of who needs what and when. So, just because I'll be the only one "physically" hunting through my neighborhood tomorrow, my sisters should be ready to answer the phone at the break of dawn if I happen upon a deal for them. I used to be afraid they would hate me for waking them up so early but we each understand the need of garage sales and how rare they are so I think we've all agreed not to chew each other out for waking the other up.

One man's trash is another man's treasure and yes we happen to be THAT man! Wish me luck in my endeavors tomorrow and feel free to comment with anything you'd like me to hunt down for you as well!

0 comments: