Friday, May 16, 2008

Pat's vs. Geno's

Well for those who weren't aware, John and I got to travel this past week to Philadelphia, D.C., and Baltimore. He had a business trip and I tagged along. We got to do a few things in between work and had a blast. However, it's just as fun to be back home as well. I'm convinced that engineers spend hours upon hours designing planes to be the most uncomfortable modes of transit out there. It's impossible to sit comfortably let alone actually get some sleep on those things. Don't get me wrong....I love to fly simply for the sake of getting somewhere as quick as possible but I have to do everything in my power to control myself from spazzing out due to claustrophobia.


We flew into Baltimore via a layover in New Jersey and what did we do once we arrived in Baltimore? Got in a rental car and drove right back through New Jersey. Silly I know, we realized all this after the fact, so I pretend like there was a good reason we back tracked all that way. Probably cheaper flights - at least I'll pretend that was the case.

Anyway Day #1 was spent in Phildadelphia. We managed to get lost a few times on our way to find the famous "Philly Cheese Steaks" and somehow ended up in Camden which was the ghetto of all ghettos. Thankfully it was the middle of the day but that did not prevent us from locking our doors just in case. It was an interesting sight that's for sure. We finally found our destination. I had seen a special about Philly Cheese Steaks on the Food Network (refer to my blog about being cable-obsessed) so I knew exactly where I wanted to taste the famous sandwiches. Pat's and Geno's which happen to be right across the street from each other. Pat's claims to be the "Original" and Geno's just claims to be the "cleaner restaurant" (both claims were true) It was raining and cold but it didn't stop us from jumping out and ordering a sandwich and cheese fries from each restaurant. For any of you that saw the Food Network episode - there is a certain slang to ordering. It gets rather stressful practing and rehearsing before stepping up to the window. Luckily after only a few stammers I succeeded in ordering us a "steak sandwich wit" (which means w/onions). John and I shared and placed our vote on which was better. Pat's was our favorite taste-wise but Geno's was a little more pleasant to look upon. So for any of you that have tried both or have yet to...let us know what your vote is! I'm just glad I finally got to taste a real Philly Cheese Steak. Delish!

VS

1 comments:

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Wow, you really did your research. I'm glad you found the place you were looking for and enjoyed it just like on TV!