Friday, May 9, 2008

I Blame My Mother

If my mom reads the title to that post she'd be rolling her eyes by now. It's a running joke that I blame all my weaknesses and less desirable traits on my poor mother. In all reality, all those that know my mother, know what a saint she is....and all those that truly know me know I just like to point blame on other people instead of me :D. But I'm sure somehow, somewhere, the following story is because of my mother right?

So, I'm an addict. The first step is admitting it right? So technically I could be on my way to recovery soon at this rate! We were raised without cable television growing up. Whether it was because we couldn't afford it or that it doesn't actually contribute to a productive life, we just plain never got to watch it. I've been graced with it here and there throughout my college life and single years and now, as an adult, I've married into it. Life all the sudden got much more exciting! Instead of the five basic channels I have a plethora of shows to watch. I've gotten rather talented at wasting hours upon hours of life simply trying to find something interesting (that's not a RE-RUN!) to watch on our cable. It's quite a talent I have mind you and yes it does require hard work and persistence! I'm sure my over indulging habits are because we were deprived as children (I had the same experience with Fruity Pebbles cereal but that's another post for another time!).

So, my latest addiction is the TLC channel. For those of you fellow cable lovers out there - I am addicted to "Little People, Big World" (I know there are others of us out there because I've conversed with you so now's the time to fess up!) I don't know what it is about this show but I can't miss an episode. Monday night is the back-to-back line-up so my life is pretty exciting that evening. Someone please explain to me why I'm hooked to this show?? Something about "little people" living a normal life (with a rather messy house) makes me realize that they are normal and probably pretty rich thanks to people like me that tune in every week.

John's take on the show and my addiction? Well when we first started dating it came up that he gets weirded out by "little people" in general. The few that we ran across in our dating life proved he was indeed weirded out by them and could hardly look at them in all their unproportional splendor. At the time, I thought this was hilarious and teased him often. Fast forward to our 5th month of marriage and my latest addiction. I actually got him hooked on the show as well!! Mind you, he's not as intense an addict as I, but the fact that he enjoys watching people that once weirded him out is a HUGE accomplishment. My inquiring mind wanted to know how he overcame such hurdles and he explained that he's acclimated to this "little people" family since they are almost practically in our home every Monday night - and he likes seeing what they are up to. But other "unfamiliar" little people still weird him out. For instance, if the Roloff's have their little people friends visit them on the show, John all the sudden has problems watching them and has to leave. I think it's rather funny but am grateful for the huge milestones John is overcoming by taking part in my addiction. His "little-people phobia" excludes the Roloff family but still remains with the rest of the population. Who knew that cable could help us overcome life-long barriers??

And on a sidenote, in case any "little people" find my blog completely offensive, please know that I love all little people and will happily watch any of you on TV. I have no biases unlike my husband.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey guys, your blog is so cute! Shannon, I absolutley share your addiction to shows like that. Mine is also a TLC show....not the Roloffs, although I do watch them once in awhile...but the family that comes on after them - Jon and Kate plus 8! Have you seen it? This couple in their early 30's has 7 year old twins and 3 year old sextuplets. It's crazy, and I am a voyeur - I love to see what is going on in their lives.

Sidenote - what is it with TLC and all the "abnormal family" shows? Isn't there another one about a family with like 27 kids...? I don't get it. But I like to watch.

This turned into a long comment, oops. Hope you guys are well. Still don't know about Dallas, but I may be seeing you soon if I head down that way. Give my little Brady a squeeze for me!

John n Shannon said...

Yes! I'm addicted to that one too! TLC is amazing isn't it? They know just what us viewers want and need...lol. And about the family with 27 kids, I've seen that show too. Did you know that family actually lives in Arky? They are about 30 min from us in Springdale. We haven't ventured out to see them in real life simply because it's easier watching them from the comfort of our own home. Fascinating isn't it?

We are anxious for a Jenny visit. Apparently Scottie is gracing us with his presence soon. John is counting down for sure. I'll definitely give Brady a squeeze for you. He's a very squeeze-able boy.

Sheri said...

Perhaps you find little people so endearing because you come from a family with abnormally tall women. :)

Josie said...

I also spend a lot of time on TLC for which I receive much teasing from the hubby.

Also, this part cracked me up "I love all little people and will happily watch any of you on TV."