Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day or Labor Day??

Somewhere in our plans Memorial Day got switched with Labor Day. John and I spent our Memorial Day weekend laying floor at my mother's house in Willard. It didn't take us long to realize manual labor is not fun. We are both grateful for jobs that don't require it and we feel sympathy for those that work jobs that do. My mother invited us to help her lay hardwood floor a few weeks ago. I felt very flattered that we received a personal invite and she chose us over all my other siblings. I guess we must be the hard workers in the family...or the stupid ones that didn't have a clue what we were getting into. Neither of us had laid hardwood floors before but it didn't take us long to become very skilled and very tired. We started out a bit rough around the edges but soon had a fairly smooth system down. Here are some pictures of our handiwork...




The first is of John working hard and the second one is a picture of my mom hardly working. ;-) She was a big promoter of "break time" and John and I were determined to keep moving until it was done. Sadly we didn't get to see it to completion because we ran out of wood. We had to leave with about 1/4 of the floor unfinished. So now we've acquired yet another home improvement skill and we've managed to be promoted to my mother's favorites at the same time. And for those who are wondering, no John and I are not for hire. ;-)


3 comments:

Colton Anne said...

One thing I've learned about your mom's projects is that they are a lot bigger than you think!! :) That bathroom was a mess!! :) We're anxious to see your work though. I think I'm projected out for a bit between doing your mom's bathroom not too long ago and painting our bedroom (by myself at the same time as tending to the girls...pretty crazy I might add!)

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Better you than me! It looks great, we'll wait until its finished to come enjoy it:) Very impressed with your work.

Sheri said...

Looks great! I love the picture of Aunt Lainey. She rocks.