Monday, July 7, 2008

Primary Colors

I may be exposing my ditziness/low mentality but for those who grew up in Primary are you familiar with the song Primary Colors? It goes a lil somethin like this... (feet tapping, guitar playing intro)...


My Primary Colors are 1 , 2, 3
Red, Yellow and Blue
They each have a special meaning
Red, Yellow and Blue.
So on and So on....

Okay, now my question - did anyone actually THINK that these colors were in fact our "Primary Colors"? I was mislead all my life because this was my understanding. I was in Primary, and apparently somewhere along the way, we all voted and these three colors were the ones that represented our Primary best. As a result, I had taken partial ownership to these colors and felt proud to call them mine.

Now imagine my shock and awe when I enter art class in 4th grade and realize THEIR primary colors were the same as mine!! It took me forever to realize that I didn't have any special hold on these three colors personally as a primary child. Apparently, as it turns out, they belonged to everyone in the world!! Very confusing.

Don't even get me started on the complexity of learning that all three of these colors would somehow blend/create all other colors IN THE UNIVERSE!!! It was all a little too much for my 4th grader mind to absorb. Even to this day, it's hard to dis-associate my primary colors from church vs real world.

Anyway, back to my somewhat related reality. So, for those who don't know, I teach the 4-5 year olds in our ward. Before my time in Arky, I spent YEARS in single wards and thus never enjoyed the excitement of Primary. I lived for those Sundays I spent visiting family wards and was lucky enough to come on the day of the Primary Program. Little kids singing songs still melts my heart to this day.

So naturally, as I move into a family ward, I'm excited for a potential calling in Primary. After a few months they were able to snag me into just such a calling. And soon after...reality set in. Gone were the cutesy old memories of kids singing, hand-clapping, exciting good ole times of sharing time, snacks, and fun. Now I was hit with the actuality of kids wiggling in their seats, whispering to each other, repeatedly asking when snack time is, and me counting down the minutes until their parents return.

However, as much as I sometimes miss the silence of Relief Society, I still have my moments of realizing how adorable these kids can be sometimes. Today, I was faced with eight 3-5 year olds all by my lonesome. Not only was my co-teacher absent, but apparently the teacher of another class was as well so we welcomed them into our class fold. Fearing what kind of retaliation I faced when the doors shut, I prepared myself for the worst. However, turns out the kids never sensed nor pounced on my fear and instead sat and waited anxiously for the lesson. It was definitely an "I love my calling" day. Kids really are so adorable and say some of the cutest things. Every once in a while I'm even shocked when one of them gives an answer to a question that actually relates to our lesson material.

Today, one of my regular kids raised his hand and told me "I'm not really getting to know that boy over there" The boy in reference was the newcomer from the other class who was turning around in his chair and being rather quiet. How cute and adorable was that? and then another one of my regular girls decides to raise her hand and tell me how the other day she had a "little taste of wine and that it was okay because it was just a little taste". Hahaha...uh how do you divert the class from something like that? I didn't want to argue with her but I did wonder exactly what kind of wine she was referring to. I'm praying it was grape juice and that her parents are aware of her drinking habits.

Kids really do say the darndest things and luckily I get an opportunity to hear them say it every Sunday. However, it seems like more often than not I get to deal with wiggly, shoe-removing, poking, giggling kids more than I get to enjoy their cute little phrases.

4 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I loved your post! You are not alone on the confusion of owning the Primary colors- I did th same thing! My kids have also just realized it's not just a mormon thing. They were a little more confused because we had them in private school in Las Vegas, and it was a Christian based school, but all the teachers happened to be LDS, so there were a lot of LDS themes- the school motto was CTR, and the school colors were red yellow and blue- they even sang the song! When they started public school and heard the art teacher talk about Primary colors they thought he had to be Mormon- it made them sad to realize he wasn't!
Thanks for being a teacher! My husband and i did it for a year and a half with 16 4 year olds- and once again I can relate tot he good and bad! But know we appreciate all your hard work and ability to divert from crazy wine comments!;)

Melinda said...

My cousin's kids asked her one day, if red, yellow, and blue are the primary colors, what are the Sacrament colors? You aren't alone in your confusion!

Colton Anne said...

I'm just glad that we didn't visit you during your wine-drinking AA class with Kayley there!! :)

Julie-Ann said...

So true is your post about teaching primary. I received the call to teach the 5-6 year olds in the Highlands ward a couple of months ago and was very excited/a tad hesitant. I NEVER knew how much hard work it is trying to balance being fun, but also teaching reverence. Every week it seems is a struggle, but in the end I really enjoy it and I have very sweet kids in my class. It is definitely a learning experience and most of the time I think that this calling was more for me than for them. I appreciated reading your post about it, though. It's nice to know that I'm not the only primary teacher who thinks of the last two hours of church with a little feeling of dread sometimes.