Monday, July 7, 2008

Webster - A Hip and Happenin Dude!

Okay, rather random post I'm aware. However, I'm sure my readers expect nothing different from me by now.

I just started typing a post about our weekend/holiday festivities and came upon a word I wasn't sure how to spell. Yes, I'm obsessed with spelling and big words, and find myself actually proof-reading as I read anything/everything. It's such dissapointment when I see poor spelling or people mistaking words such as "wood" and "would" - poor example but I'm sure you get my jest. And no, this isn't a way to scare or amp up the performance pressure on my fellow blogger friends out there. I only make fun of people I DON'T know....all others I just nod my head in shame and quietly utter a "tisk tisk"....hehehe. Anyway, on to the actual "meat" of this post....

So, as I'm blogging about my latest events I decide I need help spelling "Rendesvouz" - after all it is a pretty tricky word! And I decide to consult my trusted friend Mr. Webster's site. Shockingly Mr. Webster has never heard of this word or else chooses not to post it's definition or spelling on his website. However, check out some of the other "words" I come across in my hunt for an actual legitimate real word. Very sad but rather humorous. Pay special attention to the actual phrases provided wherein one could actually implement these rather intelligent words.

realtocrap (noun) : crappy reality TV shows
Submitted by: Skllyn on Oct. 21, 2005 20:08


rebay (verb) : To resell or reauction an item purchased online
"I really don't like this fiddle I bought on Ebay; I think I'll rebay it next week."
Submitted by: Norman Cupit from Mississippi on Dec. 21, 2006 08:55


rebeverage (verb) : to refill a drink
Bartender, would you please rebeverage me?
Submitted by: Kevin Barrett from New York on May. 06, 2007 22:55


recockulous (adjective) : extreme form of ridiculous
The fact that Alexandra had five babies in four years is recockulous.
Submitted by: rubalicious from New Jersey on May. 28, 2006 04:29


recoolly (adjective) : used to describe something or someone that is really cool.
Your laptop is so recoolly, yo.
Submitted by: roderick cancino from Arizona on Sep. 08, 2006 13:57


redonkulous (adjective) : crazy
That is just redonkulous!
Submitted by: mimi from New Jersey on Mar. 18, 2007 17:35

(adjective) : a cooler version of ridiculous.
That was redonkulous!!
Submitted by: Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2006 12:00

(adjective) : equivalent slang of ridiculous.
The price for food in that restaurant is redonkulous.
Submitted by: Jake S. from Maryland on Feb. 13, 2006 09:10

redunkulous (noun) : ridiculously ridiculous; something being utterly ridiculous.
The noise in the club was so redunkulous, because of all the jouns shaking their bootays.
Submitted by: LEX from Pennsylvania on Nov. 23, 2005 14:16


refreshify (verb) : to click the refresh button on your computer
Have you refreshified your screen?
Submitted by: chinkerbell from Florida on May. 11, 2008 01:43


Reintarnation (noun) : Coming back to life as a hillbilly
Submitted by: Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2006 04:26


Okay, after reading these, you may have a few questions as did I. First you may ask yourself.... "Why would one buy fiddle on eBay?" "Is that the same as fiddle-faddle?" "Why can't they get that at their local wal-mart just like the rest of us?" Or perhaps, "What is a joun and why would it be shaking it's bootay?"

Sad eh? Where did Mr. Webster go wrong? Somewhere from the time he came out in that enormously huge red book and the invention of the internet I presume. Who exactly polices these word submissions? Apparently, we've got hillbillies, thugs, and a bunch of uneducated people determining what our vocabulary should consist of. Keep in mind, these findings are from simply searching for my actual legitimate word, the "R" section of the dictionary!!! I shudder to think what hides between all the other electronic pages. I'm actually afraid to reference a hard copy of Mr. Webster and finding all these words in there as well.

Apparently Mr. Webster has been hanging out a little too much with Mr. Wikipedia. Our source of knowledge and information is only as legitimate as the crazies who make it up and post it online. What is our world coming to? On a side note.... I hope I don't ever get reintarnated!! Sigh...scary!

2 comments:

Heath & Ege said...

haha!! Oh my gosh this is hilarious! I'm going to use some of these words. I particularly like "redunkulous". It's recoolly. haha...

Justin said...

I just found the word "rendezvous in the Webster dictionary online. I don't know where you were at, but you weren't at the official Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Here is the link to the site.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rendezvous