Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Reunion of My Own!

So, after reading all of my Utah cousins blogs and getting jealous over the wonderful reunion they enjoyed and I missed....I'm blogging about my OWN reunion! So ha!! Well technically it didn't classify so much as a "reunion" but just a weekend with two Bell siblings and their families....but still. And No, unfortunately I can't make a fancy shmancy post of slides because once again I didn't take pictures and am thus waiting on sweet Colton to share hers. So stay tuned.

Nick & Colton and kids joined John and I in Arky the weekend before last and we had a great time. This being their first time to our area, they didn't really know what to expect as they crossed over the Arkansas state line. However, just as I was before them, they were quickly proven wrong. We aren't a state of rednecks and toothless hillbillies - not that I'm saying those people don't exist SOMEWHERE in Arkansas - but thankfully they aren't here.

Anyway, the weekend was a blast and gave us tons of time to enjoy spoiling Kayley and Cora. Between numerous games of Mexican Train and watching movies and swimming etc we had a ton of fun.

Kayley is a doll and was the first person to make me an aunt so she'll always hold a special place in my heart. She is my Punky or Punkin and yes she answers to it when I call her that to this day. She and I have a special bond regardless of our distance. I was the first person to see her at the hospital when she was born. Well besides her mom/dad/doctors/nurses etc. And because of this, she is my little protege - something similar to when ducks imprint upon the first object they see after birth. (Yes it's an actual term!!!) I lived down the road from her in COMO during her impressionable years and we bonded so much that it wasn't unheard of for her to come to me instead of Colton when she would get a boo boo.

Anyway, Saturday morning we headed to the driving range to hit a bucket (yes that's golf - to the late person). Cora and I mostly watched as John did his thing and Nick and Colton tried to do theirs. But Kayley was the best sport of the day. Not only did she insist on picking her own club out of the golf bag, she would swing and hit the ball herself, and then head out to the middle of the range to pick up the loose balls and bring them back to hit again. Yes, she did this per our request. Nick requested simply because he's cheap - we requested because it was hilarious and so adorable. Luckily we didn't have to send her out with a helmet since she really only went out about 5 feet to retrieve the balls. We then enjoyed the batting cages, headed down to the local pawn shop to peruse guns and movies and free popcorn, and off the girls went to Walmart to purchase a swimming Ariel for Kayley while the boys went shooting.

Kayley is an avid fan of The Little Mermaid. The doll never leaves her side and she can quote the whole movie verbatim - it's the MOST adorable thing to watch. I am obviously a pushover when it comes to her so it didn't take me long to decide to buy her a swimming Ariel for our pool trip that day. She was so excited and immediately told me "Shtannon we can get a wimming Ariel at Wa-mart. Wa-mart is right by Home Depot!" She's a natural little GPS as well apparently. Then for the rest of the weekend she would call my name and follow me around and when I said what she would say "I love Ariel". How cute is that? She even joined me for my CTR class on Sunday (though 2 year olds aren't quite old enough for a 4-5 yr class). She did better at holding still and listening than my actual kids and seemed to have a blast coloring her picture as well.

Cora is just as adorable and was a joy to play with as well. She is the most laid back and accomodating baby I have ever seen. It's amazing what you can put that kid through and she just smiles, coos, and crawls around.

John and I were sad to see the Bell family leave to go back home but the sadness won't last for long as we are heading on a camping trip this weekend with them as well. More pictures to come!

Proof that the "Imprint Effect" has taken place with Kayley and I.

4 comments:

Nik said...

We missed you guys- and I LOVE Ariel, too, so I would have fit right in!

Robbie and Shay said...

Your reunion sounded just as fun as ours!! You should make plans to venture out to Utah and introduce your other half to us. We would love to meet him and see you of course.

Lisa R said...

I love your blog and the layout of it all too! Sounds like your trying to talk us all into moving to Arky, just remember Columbia is where is all began! Gotta love the Como's!!!

Colton Anne said...

Shannon you are so great at descriptive things...I felt like I was in Arkansas all over again! :) This is a very sweet post! And that pic is so cute of you guys...I don't think I had that copy. You are Kayley's hero. Lately we've been seeing a lot of family in the evening so I'll tell Kayley that when she wakes up from her nap, we'll get to see "so and so" whoever it is that's coming to see us. Well...after that weekend, she kept asking if she'd see Shannon and John when she woke up from her nap. It was cute! She sure does love you guys! :)